Re: [Public WebGL] Antialiasing being disabled on some Mac OS hardware

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:

Potentially -- but I personally would not be comfortable substituting
FXAA for MSAA as Chrome's antialiasing implementation for WebGL. It
doesn't provide high quality enough results in all cases. I'm thinking
about MapsGL in particular, which draws fine vector lines and text.
(As it happens, the MapsGL team has implemented their own iterative
antialiasing algorithm, insulating themselves from this change to the
WebGL implementation.)

Well, we're only somewhat insulated from it.  Lack of MSAA still means you get some distracting flickering as the first few samples are accumulated.

And I did try using FXAA on MapsGL as an experiment at one point, and you are right that it doesn't work well for that type of content at all.

--bb