Re: [Public WebGL] Microsoft Broke the Silence

I'm not sure if this is "breaking the silence", as it's just a reiteration of their previously stated position. There's a small window of possibility hinted at, but the phrasing is very political:

"If we can solve the security problems, I think we'd seriously look at some way of producing 3D graphics for the Web."

Which indicates that they're interested in 3D on the web, but not necessarily WebGL. If they're waiting for security problems to be solved before moving, however, WebGL could very well have built up enough momentum that it might force their hand in a decision to support it. What it means to us is that we need to hammer out the security issues quickly and comprehensively so that there's no excuse not to support 3D on the Web.

Of interest is how much feedback they apparently get about WebGL:

"Over the lifetime of IE8, IE9, and IE10, every single time we said we added newer features... [a request for WebGL support] is one of the first five responses."

So I guess the community is dogging them about it fairly persistently. (The WebGL community rocks, by the way!)

--Brandon Jones