Agree that sharing a single context between canvases seems like a more workable approach than the opposite -- it will lead to less memory overhead (no need to have N OpenGL contexts for N canvases, and no need to rely on OpenGL share groups).

Some random thoughts:

- what happened to the previously discussed idea of an idea like this:

   gl.bindFramebuffer(othercanvas);

- a big problem with the approach of having to getContext before telling that you want to use another existing context, is that it will force the browser to create a drawing buffer which you may turn out to never use. We need an API that avoids such waste by allowing to avoid creating drawing buffers. The earlier-discussed bindFramebuffer(canvas) proposal, applied to a new canvas that doesn't already have a context on it, was a possible way to solve that problem.

- I have a feeling that allowing multiple sets of context attributes is going to be a headache. If we settle on an API that formally allows specifying different context attribs, I'd at least recommend requiring the all the attributes to agree across all canvases, at least as a first step -- we can always relax that later, but if we allow it from the start, we won't be able to change it anymore.

- Likewise, allowing canvases from different principals is going to be a source of pain, so I'd make it a requirement that canvases sharing a context must be on the same principal.

Benoit