Re: [Public WebGL] Please review WebGL multiple render target extension proposal

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Instead of introduding new families of 16 symbolic constants, couldn't
> we switch to an index-based API?

I don't think this is expressible with WebIDL (?).

Even if it were, though, I don't think this would be a clear
improvement as it indeed diverges from OpenGL and therefore adds
documentation/porting work. Also this would be inconsistent within
WebGL itself, since the core API have TEXTURE_n and such that are not
index-based.

On the other hand, I think we could get rid of all those verbose
_WEBGL suffixes, while _ANGLE is necessary for the 'native' version of
the extension (based off C), the namespacing here is already done
through the WebGL extension object.

Thoughts?

PS: unfortunately there is one approved extension with the _WEBGL
suffix on constants (WEBGL_debug_renderer_info) - fortunately it is
the only one and WEBGL_debug_shaders does not have WEBGL suffix on the
getTranslatedShaderSource function (like DrawBuffersWEBGL has, in this
proposal).

PS2: we could probably remove those suffixes from some of the draft
extensions that are currently using them.