Re: [Public WebGL] Please review WebGL multiple render target extension proposal

Extension proposal sounds good here!

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:

Instead of introduding new families of 16 symbolic constants, couldn't
we switch to an index-based API?

The same could be said about gl.activeTexture, could it not? In fact, that would probably have avoided a minor class of error that I've seen pop up from time to time where users don't realize that they need to pass the symbolic constant instead of just "1".

But given that the precedent of activeTexture is already in place I have a hard time saying we should break tradition just for this extension. It doesn't gain us much and introduces yet another minor inconsistency with desktop GL that will turn into footnotes and warnings on every blog and tutorial, and adds one more step that you have to internalize when porting desktop code by hand. I just don't see the benefit.

--Brandon