Re: [Public WebGL] option for suggesting "low power" mode at context creation

Florian Bösch wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> But to be clear, this is all implementation detail. An implementation
>> that
>> is able to do some very clever heuristics to switch back and forth
>> without
>> the user knowing (other than a possible change in quality) is free to do
>> so, just like another implementation might ignore the flag altogether.
>>
> I'm not objecting to dynamic scaling if your implementation can do that.
> I'm objecting to the idea that without the capability to be able to that,
> you could somehow arrive at a relevant decision of what setting to use
> before or shortly after the context is created that shall represent a
> valid
> choice for the entire lifetime of the context.

Dynamic scaling is a dangerous thing if done automatically and without the
application's consent.

Remember, not all "rendering" is producing a pretty picture on the screen.
 Lots of times you're using the GPU to generate something that is very
specific to your needs.  I've used the GPU to do things like calculating
the position of 65,536 particles (packed into a 256x256 texture) by
calculating (v+a*t*t/2) where the velocity of each particle is stored in a
second texture.  You don't want to even *consider* scaling that rendering
operation!

This isn't just a matter of getting a fuzzier or sharper final image!

 -- Steve