Re: [Public WebGL] option for suggesting "low power" mode at context creation

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
> But to be clear, this is all implementation detail. An implementation that
> is able to do some very clever heuristics to switch back and forth without
> the user knowing (other than a possible change in quality) is free to do so,
> just like another implementation might ignore the flag altogether.

The shading language specification does not fully specify certain
semantic properties of shaders that may differ between
renderer/driver/GPU (signed zeros, NaNs, varying precisions, &c).
Authors may profile the renderer they are running on and may load
programs to take advantage of each different renderer's capabilities.

How will users report bugs in content with automagical GPU switching
and tuned shaders?

I am in favor of hints and switching if it is deterministic and
detectable. I believe this is possible with a default renderer bias
(e.g. high performance unless otherwise requested) and a flag
corresponding to each alternate renderer hint to indicate if that
alternate renderer is being used.

David