Re: [Public WebGL] option for suggesting "low power" mode at context creation

On 2012/09/28 20:37, Florian Bösch wrote:
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 4:39 AM, Mark Callow <callow.mark@artspark.co.jp> wrote:

That said,  I agree that global control over power usage belongs in the OS. Given the way the OS X Energy Saver preferences are set up "automatic switching" is the choice that indicates you want to prolong battery life. This thread is happening because automatic switching apparently isn't smart enough.

Well gfx scaling as a function of user preference is not yet considered by any OS, most prominently not by those OSes that introduced it in the first place.
The Energy Saver preference I mentioned above provides exactly that consideration.
So that is part of why scale selection is being discussed here. The other part is that there is knowledge the author of a particular use of WebGL has, that cannot be known or deduced. For instance, I know that my deferred irradiance demo consumes tons of GPU resources, and it has nothing to do with aliasing or running at 60fps.
Define "tons of GPU resources". Buffer objects? Textures? Renderbuffers? The integrated GPU is part of a UMA so you have all of system memory to store these in. Vertex attributes? Uniforms? Texture units? On my MacBook Pro the only difference I see in the limits is that the max texture size and max viewport size on the integrated are 8192 while on the discreet Radeon they are 16384.
But if say, wikipedias entry of an icosaeder would like to rasterize a simple icosaeder, they *know* that their use is very minimal, and that any GPU no matter how slow will be able to run that @ 60FPS. And then take for instance webglstats or modernizer etc. We know we don't want peoples machines to flap GPUs in the wind, we're not doing anything of performance interest.
My suggested heuristic works fine for these cases.

Regards

    -Mark