Re: [Public WebGL] blacklisting NVIDIA proprietary Linux drivers older than 295.* in chrome

I just updated to Chrome22 and I felt a need to share my story of the close encounter with the updated blacklist.

Prelude: I updated chrome, no webgl anymore.

Act 1: The driver update
I tried to update my driver from the PPA on my out of support Ubuntu. As a result Xorg stopped working, Also Eth0 stopped working for reasons unknown, my work system is now dead.

Act 2: The reinstall
Downloaded Ubuntu 12.04. Installed, discovered that Ubuntu still can't deliver a working nvidia driver out of the box.

Act 3: The configuration
Enter: PPA repository to get a new driver, some command line mongering.
Enter: xorg.conf fuzzing to get my second monitor to work
Enter: more xrog.conf fuzzing to make sure I get no compiz compositing support which slows down webgl
Enter: My second monitor is now useless since there is no way to get it to refresh at 85hz anymore, and looking at a 60hz CRT is a headache inducing proposition.

Finale:
I've now lost a workday, marveled at the dust that has accumulated in my PC casing, lost a monitor, lost my work setup and still don't have a full replacement of what I had before I foolishly tried to update my driver because of chrome.

Ending credits roll:
google
canonical
nvidia