Re: [Public WebGL] option for suggesting "low power" mode at context creation

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
- As a browser developer, we've seen the general user population overwhelmingly suggest that power performance/battery life is more important to them than speed performance/FPS rate. Indirectly, this contributed to Flash's demise from the Web - it was not friendly enough towards power performance. Just do a Google search for a query like "Flash fans spin up" or something :)
The problem isn't that flash makes users write expensive applications. The problem is that flashes single process started consuming enormous amounts of continous CPU time for the simplest things like displaying banner ads or playing a pong game. And more often than not that process kept just on consuming long after the page containing the flash object was closed. Combined with the fact that it constantly crashed, *that* is what killed flash, among other things. There's a difference between the ability but no obligation to use lots of resources (webgl, hopefully), and no choice than to use lots of resources (flash).

- If you're writing for the Web you generally need to write for the lowest common denominator. Unless you want users who have only low performance GPUs to be unable to run your application, then you'll need to assume that's all they have anyway.
Yes writing for the lowest common denominator has its benefits. But writing for the best hardware available has benefits as well. It's not the place of any browser vendor to dictate my audience, or make technical decisions towards limiting my audience towards a specific usecase. I'd like to be able to target the lowest common denominator for my pong clone if I want to. I'd also like to target high performance audiences for my Quake4 clone. It's an authors choice, the technology is the enabler, not the dictator. Your idea about what constitutes proper use of GPUs for the web doesn't matter. Mine doesn't matter. It's a choice between an author and his audience. Not yours.

- Games that are significantly complex enough to require a discrete GPU are probably less likely to appear on aggregation sites.
More prophecy business. You don't know what aggregators, app-stores, etc. are going to do. It's not your place to make decisions either way. If an aggregator would like to specialize on that, you shouldn't stand in the way.