Re: [Public WebGL] option for suggesting "low power" mode at context creation

On 27/09/2012, at 9:38 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
It seems like the type of thing a browser could try to do automatically. For example, any iframe pointing to content from another domain could be forced onto the lower power GPU.
That would be an extremely unwise idea, because you'd force iframe using aggregators (such as Kongregate) to default to low performance GPUs for high performance applications.

This is getting off topic for this thread, but I don't think it's as bad as you imagine.

- As a browser developer, we've seen the general user population overwhelmingly suggest that power performance/battery life is more important to them than speed performance/FPS rate. Indirectly, this contributed to Flash's demise from the Web - it was not friendly enough towards power performance. Just do a Google search for a query like "Flash fans spin up" or something :)

- If you're writing for the Web you generally need to write for the lowest common denominator. Unless you want users who have only low performance GPUs to be unable to run your application, then you'll need to assume that's all they have anyway.

- Games that are significantly complex enough to require a discrete GPU are probably less likely to appear on aggregation sites.

Anyway, we have no official plans to take steps like this, and discussing it here is fairly irrelevant.

Dean