Re: [Public WebGL] Running WebGL conformance tests from the command line

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 9/27/12 10:05 PM, Mark Callow wrote:
>>
>> I think a command line argument to force use of the OpenGL rendering
>> path is also important. There is one for Chrome. I don't not aware of
>> one in Firefox. I only know how to do it via about:config.
>

> It's very very rare for Firefox to expose configuration stuff via
> command-line options.  Not least because the people exposing that stuff are
> usually working on Gecko, which doesn't even _have_ command-line options.
> All of those are done by the various Gecko embeddings.
>
> So the most common way to configure stuff is either via preferences (see
> about:config) or rarely via environment variables.
>
> Note that you can have a script that generates a profile with preferences
> set up however you like and then just start Firefox pointed at that profile.
> That's how our test automation works, for example.

Could you post some pointers to code which does this? Or even better,
would you be willing to contribute a little code to the harness which
generates a profile with the desired preferences?

How future-proof would such code be? Is Firefox's profile format well specified?

Thanks,

-Ken