Re: [Public WebGL] option for suggesting "low power" mode at context creation

On 27/09/2012, at 12:20 PM, Mark Callow <callow.mark@artspark.co.jp> wrote:

On 27/09/2012 09:16, Chris Marrin wrote:

Perhaps "preferPowerSavingsOverPerformance" to be very clear what it is you're giving up?

It seems to me that this is a solution to a temporary problem.
Temporary problems are still problems, and we can't be sure how temporary they will be. This is not requiring anything from the implementation.
Would the flag have any effect on mobile devices with low-power GPUs? I don't think so.
No, It doesn't have an effect on devices with a single extremely powerful GPU either. I'm not sure what point this proves though.

I think GPU designs used in notebook computers will move in the direction of the low-power models and we'll see dual-GPU portable devices disappear.
That may or may not be true, but I don't think it is an argument against the flag. One could imagine a possible future where GPUs are good enough to switch off cores to save power, etc.

Also, if the developer can't provide that hint, then I, as an implementor, might decide I value my users' battery life over WebGL performance and force all WebGL onto the integrated card. I expect people will complain a lot more over getting only 30 minutes of battery life rather than the (useless) spinning WebGL cube on khronos.org running slightly slower.

Dean