Re: [Public WebGL] option for suggesting "low power" mode at context creation

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Mark Callow <callow.mark@artspark.co.jp> wrote:

It seems to me that this is a solution to a temporary problem. Would the flag have any effect on mobile devices with low-power GPUs? I don't think so. I think GPU designs used in notebook computers will move in the direction of the low-power models and we'll see dual-GPU portable devices disappear.
I don't think so. Dual GPU systems that can switch seamlessly are certainly somewhat of an oddity. It's certainly true that certain segments of the market will always aim for single GPU systems. However, if you want to combine very low power consumption but also powerful graphics in one system, dual GPU solutions will remain the solution for the forseeable future. The reason being that: 1) integrated graphics cannot compete performance wise with discrete graphics. This will always be true.
2) Discrete graphics cannot yet work as power effectively as simple integrated graphics. It is likely this will remain so for a long time due to this being a hard thing to do.
3) The need to combine both low power graphics and high power graphics in one system will not vanish into thin air.