Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL support for high bit depth rendering & display

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Matt McLin <mr.mclin@gmail.com> wrote:

I have no doubt that more than 8-bpc is great. But as has repeatedly been said, it's not easy to do inside an app that hosts other apps inside itself, that host content, which might require it, that is a pipeline/compositor all by itself, that needs not only satisfy this usecase, but others, and hardware that can't do what you ask for. So we also can't just replace any code, there's got to be flexibility towards the pixel format, and consistency, something that's entirely unplanned for and hard to do for anybody without such a rig.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time/capacity to devote myself to improving browser code at this time, so I'm just hoping to inspire some forward-looking ideas for those that do.
I think if you'd either convince the vendors WebGL dev teams and gift each vendors team with a couple of these rigs, or hire a person full time to care about getting the patches in, chances would improve vastly of this happening.