Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL support for high bit depth rendering & display

I have no doubt that more than 8-bpc is great. But as has repeatedly been said, it's not easy to do inside an app that hosts other apps inside itself, that host content, which might require it, that is a pipeline/compositor all by itself, that needs not only satisfy this usecase, but others, and hardware that can't do what you ask for. So we also can't just replace any code, there's got to be flexibility towards the pixel format, and consistency, something that's entirely unplanned for and hard to do for anybody without such a rig.

Hi Florian, I agree with everything you said.  Certainly anyone interested in implementing support for >8-bits per channel should have a suitable rig to display/validate it.  But none of this is news to me, and as for easy vs. hard, well I think it's our job to solve hard problems.  :)  And more often than not, it's just a sign that the problem needs to be broken down & approached in a slightly different way.   Unfortunately, I don't have the time/capacity to devote myself to improving browser code at this time, so I'm just hoping to inspire some forward-looking ideas for those that do.

Technical question on this browser pipeline -- specifically with respect to WebGL, is the WebGL backbuffer presented/copied/swapped directly to the display's frontbuffer (or backbuffer in the case of OS with it's own composition pipeline, such as Microsoft's DWM)?  If not, through how many other buffers is it copied before it gets there?  Does anyone know if this pipeline differs much for Chrome vs. Firefox?

Thanks, Matt