Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL support for high bit depth rendering & display

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Won Chun <wonchun@google.com> wrote:
- While supported, 30 bit displays are pretty rare (a lot of the claim to be 10-bit, but only for internal processing and only have 8-bit panels). You need a fancier graphics card, hooked to a fancier monitor over DisplayPort. The reach (and therefore the necessity for something like WebGL) is unfortunately questionable. I think it would be pretty cool, though :)
Anybody actually know if window shells and their compositors can work in more than 8bpp? For that matter, if you want to make sure that what you get out is definitely 10bpp wouldn't you need to have a special graphics card, with a special display port, with a special cable, hooking up to a special driver, that goes around any and all software inbetween rendering and frontbuffer?

I stated this caveat pretty explicitly in the quoted text. I have not gotten all the fancy bits in place, but supposedly, yes it should work:

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/40049/TB-04701-001_v02_new.pdf

I'm not sure if there is specific black magic going on here. For example, sometimes hardware video decoders bypass compositors. It could be there is a similar punch-through for 30-bit color.

-Won