Re: [Public WebGL] ATC texture size computation

On Sep 7, 2012, at 3:42 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

Brilliant :)

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Gregg Tavares (社用) <gman@google.com> wrote:
Googled "atc format reverse engineered"

Found:

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Steve Baker <steve@sjbaker.org> wrote:
Requiring that vendors supply (and maintain for let's say, 5 years) a
zero-cost, cross-platform (Linux/Windows/OSX) library to write into their
format really ought to be a minimum requirement for any acceptance as an
extension.
Nah, the community can do the work if you let us. I understand that maintaining cross platform software can be a hassle. But the specification of the format would help.

We should be extremely clear about the status of any technique for encoding or transcoding to the ATC format. The article sited claims only to have used "public sources", but it's not clear if those sources include only valid (non-proprietary) information. I understand the strong desire to have an acceptable compressed texture format. But we really do need to make sure the one(s) chosen can be included in the spec free of any undeclared encumbrances. IANAL, but I know that not being careful about this will almost certainly bite us in the ass later...

-----
~Chris Marrin
cmarrin@apple.com