Re: [Public WebGL] Re: s3tc compression and UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Jeff Russell <jeffdr@gmail.com> wrote:
Flipping, at the very least, is doable without decompressing/recompressing the image...

Not necessarily. In order to properly flip the image you need to know the details of the compression format, which the browser tries not to do. Since I'm pretty sure that UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL affects the texture upload, rather than flipping a bit in the driver, it's sensible to exclude compressed textures from it's affected targets.

Not that I wouldn't like to have it work everywhere, but I understand the reasoning behind it.