Re: [Public WebGL] s3tc compression and UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL

On 12-09-09 05:35 PM, Florian Bösch wrote:
> I'm toying around with compression and I noticed that
> gl.pixelStorei(gl.UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL, true) has no effect on s3tc
> compressed textures.
>
> Not sure if fixed in newer chrome releases, a bug, or a feature. Any
> insight?

The only thing we can do here is specify that pixelStorei parameters
don't affect compressed textures. 2 reasons: 1) we don't want to require
the browser to _implement_ the compressed texture formats that it
_exposes_ and 2) even if we were OK with that, the WebGL texture
conversions code that browsers have to implement is already very complex
and this would make it worse.

The spec indeed should probably say this explicitly, since WebGL has
WebGL-specific pixelStore parameters that affect texture uploads.

Benoit