Re: [Public WebGL] ATC texture size computation

On 12-09-07 02:18 PM, Gregg Tavares (社用) wrote:
Is there any way we can get the format opened? I would be good to understand the rational for keeping it proprietary, especially in 2012.
We could try having that discussion with Qualcomm; I too would be interested. I just didn't want it to be a blocker for exposing as a WebGL extension.

I understand the pragmatic argument but it does seem very un-Web like to support an undocumented format that can only be generated on a proprietary tool.
That is true, but note that other formats like PVRTC are in a similar league. In PVRTC's case, although the spec links to an article that talks about the compression technique, this article isn't precise enough to allow one to implement it; in particular, it says nothing about the actual data layout.

Just wanted to be clear that the issue isn't really specific to ATC --- it's a general issue with the current compressed texture formats that we can use on mobile devices.

Benoit