Von: owner-public_webgl@khronos.org [owner-public_webgl@khronos.org] im Auftrag von Benoit Jacob [bjacob@mozilla.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 7. September 2012 18:41
An: public_webgl@khronos.org
Betreff: Re: [Public WebGL] ATC texture size computation

On 12-09-07 12:25 PM, Florian Bösch wrote:
> Another issue with this is that about 99% of webgl use is desktops,
> and only 50% of those (optimistically, or according
> to http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/) support ATC
> compressed textures (unsurprisingly only AMDs, ha-ha).
The idea is that games should ship S3TC textures to desktop clients and
ATC/PVRTC textures to mobile clients.

I realize that it's uncomfortable to rely on app developers to get this
right, but I don't see an alternative. We already know that compressed
textures are a requirement to be a serious games platform, that we want
to support both desktop and mobile, and that there isn't a universally
supported compressed texture format yet. So we have to make a compromise
here.

Benoit