Re: [Public WebGL] Universal Shading Language Governance

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Marco Di Benedetto <spattija@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Above all, on my mind it is the long requests for multiple render
>> targets: ignoring all the complains was not a great move.
>
> I think we have a proposal for this on which Gregg did a bang up job to iron
> it out the issues between desktop and ES.
> https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/blob/master/extensions/proposals/WEBGL_fbo_color_attachments/extension.xml
>
> It's a topic for another thread what happens to this.

Now that OpenGL ES 3.0 is out, it can be said publicly that the reason
for deferring work on this WebGL extension was to avoid introducing
behavior that would be incompatible with OpenGL ES 3.0.

If someone would like to revise that extension to pull its language
*and semantics* from the OpenGL ES 3.0 specification, that would be
great.

However, I am personally in favor of moving in the direction of
upgrading the WebGL specification to incorporate all of the OpenGL ES
3.0 functionality, not just this part. There are a lot of new
capabilities in ES 3.0 and I imagine that they all have subtle
interactions, so adding them as individual extensions to WebGL would
be more work than it's worth.

I've personally been too swamped recently to initiate email threads on
public_webgl regarding the status of the WebGL 1.0.1 spec snapshot and
passing of the 1.0.1 conformance suite, but any of the other WG
members (Benoit, for example) should feel free to discuss the current
state of things.