Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL Reference Pages

On Aug 13, 2012, at 4:21 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:

I apologize but I don't have concrete examples of missing
functionality. I can only say definitively from my experience that
doing markup on wiki pages by hand is tedious. David Sheets' work to
autogenerate the WebGL extension registry from XML files is a great
example of a massive productivity improvement. I can't imagine
maintaining the registry by hand any more. Similar productivity
increases could surely be achieved for the creation and maintenance of
WebGL reference pages by using some sort of template system rather
than writing wiki pages for each API call by hand.

Currently, the IDL file is extracted from the spec (see https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/blob/master/specs/latest/extract-idl.py). Seems like the text for man pages could be similarly extracted. This might involve tagging additional elements in the spec, or adding some hidden elements with additional data. Then maybe the simplest thing to do would be to add this text to the IDL in Doxygen format so we can use those tools to generate various formats of man pages?

-----
~Chris Marrin
cmarrin@apple.com