Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL Reference Pages

On 12/08/07 18:44, Gregg Tavares (社用) wrote:

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:

Is it acceptable to copy text from other Khronos resources, such as:
 - OpenGL ES man pages
 - OpenGL ES sprc
 - WebGL spec

I don't know if it is acceptable copy from the OpenGL ES spec or man pages. Honestly those pages often seem derived from OpenGL 1.0 and it would be nice, where appropriate, to just write new docs.

I don't know about the legal position either but I worry about duplication of effort and divergence between the OpenGL ES and WebGL man pages. The vast majority of the information is the same for both. It would be nice to have at least the source in one place with page sections noting differences in WebGL where necessary.
I was worrying about duplication of effort too, but I can see the bright side of Gregg's proposed approach: it's a good occasion to start fresh and aim for (even) better results than the OpenGL ES man pages achieved.

I also worry that using a Wiki for the reference pages creates an enormous amount of manual effort that could otherwise be automated such as making live references from one page to another.
Wikis offer tools for this, too. Mediawiki's "Categories" come to mind, but I don't have much experience with that.

If one were to revert from using a wiki for this kind of reason, one would first have to think about what format to choose. For good handling of cross-references in large documents, LaTeX comes to mind.

But if you ask me, the main problem we have to solve today is that man pages haven't been written yet, and this problem is more likely to be solved with the wiki lowering the barrier to entry, than with a more advanced but more technical document authoring system like LaTeX.
Benoit

Regards

-Mark