Re: [Public WebGL] Oculus Rift

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
I've backed it; I'll hack in browser event support once I get my hands on a SDK :D
I don't think we'll have to wait for that. Ideally I'd like the browsers to be able to support it the moment the dev kits hit the street for two reasons:

1) It gives Oculus an even better running start
2) It promotes HTML5/WebGL as a serious platform (huge PR win, Carmack is always dissing us)

I'd suggest a two-pronged strategy. Can we get google and/or mozilla in contact with Oculus VR to obtain information/sdk and start a collaboration? It doesn't have to be a dev kit (although that would definitely help too).

Failing or complementing that we know:
- It's using a single screen output split in the middle, fed to by DVI.
- Due to some lens arrangement the geometry for each eye is not equirectangular, so we know we'll need some vertex transform a little different than equirectangular.
- We know it will deliver its inputs via USB, which probably means it'll just be a 6-axis joystick.

If we could corroborate/confirm this and get some information whatsoever, we can start preparing the ground. We can cook up a few helpers/tutorials/examples to render the scene twice with the required geometry. And we could start with an napi plugin. Incidentally I have a 6-axis mouse on my table I could use for mock input.