Re: [Public WebGL] blacklisting NVIDIA proprietary Linux drivers older than 295.* in chrome

I'd steer clear of this route - it doesn't solve a lot of core scenarios and is messy in the rest of them. Browser vendor time would be much better spent on more robust solutions (infobars like Chrome has/etc). Hopefully some work here will be coming soon.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Kevin Reid <kpreid@switchb.org> wrote:

On Aug 1, 2012, at 9:02, Benoit Jacob wrote:

> For the segment of experienced users, actually, here is something we can do that would give specific instructions without compromising privacy: how about, when context creation fails, using the canvas area to display the informative message? There is no way for Web content to read back the content of a canvas that doesn't have a context, so we should be able to put all the information that we want there, without compromising security or privacy at all.

Nitpick: The canvas element itself provides toDataURL(...), independent of any context, which allows reading the contents of the canvas. However, there are at least two possibilities for mostly-compatible extension:

- toDataURL may throw if the canvas is not origin-clean; having this case throw as well would likely not break much.

- The canvas could be *rendered* in the document with the informative message, but not actually contain the message as its image data.

I also note that unsupported image formats and missing plugins are both precedent for displaying browser-specific error indications inside the area of the element.

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>