Re: [Public WebGL] blacklisting NVIDIA proprietary Linux drivers older than 295.* in chrome

On Aug 1, 2012, at 9:02, Benoit Jacob wrote:

> For the segment of experienced users, actually, here is something we can do that would give specific instructions without compromising privacy: how about, when context creation fails, using the canvas area to display the informative message? There is no way for Web content to read back the content of a canvas that doesn't have a context, so we should be able to put all the information that we want there, without compromising security or privacy at all.

Nitpick: The canvas element itself provides toDataURL(...), independent of any context, which allows reading the contents of the canvas. However, there are at least two possibilities for mostly-compatible extension:

- toDataURL may throw if the canvas is not origin-clean; having this case throw as well would likely not break much.

- The canvas could be *rendered* in the document with the informative message, but not actually contain the message as its image data.

I also note that unsupported image formats and missing plugins are both precedent for displaying browser-specific error indications inside the area of the element.

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>