Re: [Public WebGL] blacklisting NVIDIA proprietary Linux drivers older than 295.* in chrome

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
For the segment of experienced users, actually, here is something we can do that would give specific instructions without compromising privacy: how about, when context creation fails, using the canvas area to display the informative message? There is no way for Web content to read back the content of a canvas that doesn't have a context, so we should be able to put all the information that we want there, without compromising security or privacy at all.

Thoughts?
I generally like the idea of the browser handling any message to convey that webgl is not working because... and maybe try...

I'm not sure if the canvas is the perfect though in two cases:
1) some kind of fallback scheme which would result in some situations in the canvas quickly flickering the message before it disappears
2) In case you add many canvas elements on the page, you'll get a whole page full of the same text (kind of like filling the page with broken images symbols or non-working java applets)

In most cases putting the help message in the canvas is probably ok though.