Re: [Public WebGL] blacklisting NVIDIA proprietary Linux drivers older than 295.* in chrome

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
We'd rather to be on the safe side.
I don't think you understand. Almost nobody has your desired driver. You'll be performing a mass linux GPU cutoff for your browser. You'll be cutting off millions of people, the vast majority of linux users from WebGL and hardware accelerated canvas2d. I understand that you don't want to crash peoples machines, but if you would be dealing with windows, you would not exclude 99% of windows users from webgl for a similar bug.

I'm not yet supporting time-series on webglstats, but I do predict that within a month of you rolling out that blacklist, you'll have all but extinguished any support on linux for webgl to nearly zero.