Re: [Public WebGL] Issues with sharing resources across contexts

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Gregg Tavares (社用) <gman@google.com> wrote:
> I agree that solution would work for 2+ contexts in a single webpage since
> webpages are single threaded. Is that enough for now? Do we care about
> WebWorkers where that solution will no longer be enough?
>
> Lemme throw out some ideas. They probably suck but maybe they'll jog some
> others.
>
> What if a resource could only be used in 1 context at a time and you had to
> transfer ownership to use it another context? That might solve this issue as
> well. Would that be too restrictive? What if an object could be used in any
> context but state only set in the context that "owns" it? Not sure that
> would help. In the case above it would mean any context could call
> UseProgram but only the context that owns it could call AttachShaders and
> LinkProgram since those change state. Of course that wouldn't solve every
> issue because UseProgram requires the results of LinkProgram.
>
> I'm just throwing that out there. The idea is probably not workable but it
> would be nice to try to design an WebGL API for WebWorkers that didn't have
> the ambiguity that OpenGL has as far as execution order. Whatever that
> solution is might also work for 2 contexts in the same page.

What if a means is provided to make a given WebGL resource immutable?
Once the resource is 'frozen', no further modification would be
allowed but the resource could be shared between contexts or workers.

What are the use cases for shared mutable WebGL resources?

David