Re: [Public WebGL] Silverlight 3D

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM, evan neumann <evan@orbitingeden.com> wrote:
I have implemented a basic webgl check for my application, but it does nothing to verify processing capacity. Do you have a recommendation or some JS code you can post that does this effectively?
In lieu of lack of any other solution, there's only about 3 ways you can do it:

1) user intervention by way of "quality" settings, only, if your program does DoS the machine, that's not gonna help
2) Measuring some performance stats relevant to your app before actually running it (like rendering one frame and time it), however, in lieu of the fact that there might be some interactive things that happen upon user behavior that could DoS a machine, that's not entirely reliable.
3) Keep a constant eye on important things like render-time, simulation time, time to next frame etc, and if that redlines into DoS territory, start turning off expensive things, degrade the experience, if it still redlines, kill the renderloop and display something like "Funny, it shouldn't do that".