Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_dynamic_texture extension proposal

On 13/07/2012 16:50, Mark Callow wrote:

And below is Acorn's reply to my reply.

Based on feedback from you all I am going to recast WEBGL_dynamic_texture as wrapping GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external

Before I go ahead and change the draft I want to know if people comfortable having an extension that mirrors a non-Khronos OpenGL ES extension? As I said it

... is basically OES_EGL_image_external without the bits we don't want ...

The reason it is not yet a Khronos extension is, I think, because discussion continues on a cross-platform way to bind the EGLStream to an OpenMAX producer. NVIDIA needed to ship a product hence it has come out first with the NV prefix.

Given that the important parts are available in an OES extension I don't think mirroring this should be a concern. The reason for choosing this over OES_EGL_image_external is that it discusses latching (acquiring) image frames, something that is at the heart of WEBGL_dynamic_texture and includes a rule to having sampling return black pixels when no frame is latched. The features described that go beyond OES_EGL_image_external can be easily implemented in the browser when WEBGL_dynamic_texture is implemented on top of OES_EGL_image_external or TEXTURE_2D.

Regards

    -Mark