Re: [Public WebGL] Silverlight 3D

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM, John Davis <jdavis@pcprogramming.com> wrote:
For what it's worth, win8 with Silverlight just works for shader based 3D in the browser.  With respect to tablets, it appears microsoft is well ahead of webgl for shader based 3D graphics.

Last I checked silverlight had three major problems:
1) low-fidelity graphics due to absolutely no features invented in the last 15 years, like antialiasing and retained mode rendering
2) silverlight 3d would require half a dozen convoluted hoops for the user to jump trough to even enable it
3) all shaders have to be precompiled, which means, among other things, no such things as interactive path-tracers, ray-tracers, glsl sandboxes, adjusting the rendering pipeline to settings, fractal explorers etc.

So I don't know what you mean with "well ahead of webgl for shader based 3d graphics". Even if we assume that silverlight 3d would just work, by necessity it's an OpenGL ES 2.0 parity functionality since you can't stuff a wattage guzzling high end GPU in an ARM device, that would be battery seppuku.