Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_dynamic_texture extension proposal

On 06/07/2012 20:08, Florian Bösch wrote:
sampler1D, sampler2D, sampler3D, samplerCube, sampler2DRect, sampler1DShadow, sampler2DShadow, ...

OpenGL hitherto contains *no* single sampler type that uses the exact same semantic yet only introduces the type to distinguish between an opaque internal conversion process. All types represent semantic concepts transparently and as such will not prompt variant compiling because "variants" would not make sense in their context.
sampler2DRect and sampler2D seem pretty darn similar to me. The only difference is the texture coordinates you feed them from the API so I wouldn't be surprised to see the "variant compiling" there.

Regards

-Mark