Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_dynamic_texture extension proposal

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
I think our goal should be to allow full frame rate playback of perfectly synced and paced video in a 3D scene. But to do that we need to do better than just letting the video decoder give us whatever frame happens to be ready. The renderer really needs full awareness of media timing, which needs to be communicated in both directions between the media provider and the renderer.
The <video> container should know which frame (time) is desired pretty precisely doesn't it (after all we also control video trough it)? And the <video> container would have some of that mechanism you mention to show the frame it wants. And wouldn't that frame be held (in normal operation) in video memory? So I think the entire mechanism and the parameters to the mechanism is there, it seems just a matter of exposing a "sync for current time now" to JS.