Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_dynamic_texture extension proposal

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:
On 2012/07/05 17:39, Florian Bösch wrote:
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:

I welcome your comments and help to resolve all the listed issues.

I like the functionality. I dislike the use of a separate sampler type as in:
uniform samplerExternalOES videoSampler;

It means shaders have to be pre-processed according to the type of texture passed in, and that makes it quite a lot harder to support both static and dynamic textures at the same time, as well as writing utilities/libraries around filtering that work regardless.

If you use the same sampler type the implementation has to figure out at run-time what type of image it is sampling and may have to recompile the shader when switching between yuv and rgb images. It's not wonderful either way but I believe that the majority of applications will know in advance which textures will use dynamic sources. So I think the separate sampler type is the way to go. The underlying OES extension made the same choice.

Presumably canvases (and many image elements) will be in RGB, so won't implementations have to recompile shaders anyway?

Regards

    -Mark
--
注意:この電子メールには、株式会社エイチアイの機密情報が含まれている場合が有ります。正式なメール受信者では無い場合はメール複製、 再配信または情報の使用を固く禁じております。エラー、手違いでこのメールを受け取られましたら削除を行い配信者にご連絡をお願いいたし ます。