Re: [Public WebGL] Should texImage2D and texSubImage2D accept more element types?

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 5/30/12 3:58 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>>
>> In my opinion it isn't worth adding SVGImageElement support to the
>> WebGL spec until the SVG spec defines CORS support. Until it does,
>> SVGImageElements would be much less useful than HTMLImageElements for
>> uploading texture data to WebGL.
>

> Well, the real criterion for usefulness is when UAs implement support for
> CORS in <svg:image>, not when the SVG spec adds it.
>
> As I said, Gecko already does it.

If the behavior isn't specified then how is the implementer of the UA
supposed to know what to implement?

>> I think that adding support for using full HTML rendering results as
>> textures in a safe manner that isn't susceptible to side-channel
>> timing attacks would be a great direction.
>

> Also incredibly difficult to secure...  ;)

I don't disagree -- but Adobe is making good and very interesting
progress in the ANGLE project in verifying that a shader doesn't make
control flow decisions based on the results of texture fetches.