Re: [Public WebGL] 2.2 The Drawing Buffer requires 8 bit per color component

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Gregg Tavares (社用) <gman@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> In 2.2 The Drawing Buffer, it is said that the default WebGL framebuffer
>> must have at least 8 bit color components, i.e. 24 or 32 bpp.
>>
>> This seems inconsistent with the fact that our only supported color
>> renderbuffer formats have 16 bpp.
>>
>> Should we change Section 2.2 to require only at least 4 bit per component?
>

> Personally I'd prefer to go to the other way. Require 8bit support for
> renderbuffers. But in OpenGL ES 2.0 the only supported default is RGBA4.
>
> On the other hand, AFAIK, there are few use cases for color Renderbuffers.
> Instead people use textures since (a) they can then use the results to
> render with and (b) they can explicitly choose 8bits per pixel. That leaves
> the only good use case for Renderbuffers for creating depth and stencil
> buffers.
>
> But actually I'd prefer to leave it as is

There was some discussion a while ago about whether WebGL
implementations should require the OES_rgb8_rgba8 extension to be
supported on the target hardware, but I recall the decision was to not
do so, because it would have limited the number of ES 2.0 devices that
could potentially support WebGL.

Agree both that the desired direction would be to require 8 bit per
channel renderbuffer support, and also to leave this portion of the
spec alone for the time being.

-Ken