Re: [Public WebGL] 2.2 The Drawing Buffer requires 8 bit per color component

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:

Hi,

In 2.2 The Drawing Buffer, it is said that the default WebGL framebuffer must have at least 8 bit color components, i.e. 24 or 32 bpp.

This seems inconsistent with the fact that our only supported color renderbuffer formats have 16 bpp.

Should we change Section 2.2 to require only at least 4 bit per component?

Personally I'd prefer to go to the other way. Require 8bit support for renderbuffers. But in OpenGL ES 2.0 the only supported default is RGBA4.

On the other hand, AFAIK, there are few use cases for color Renderbuffers. Instead people use textures since (a) they can then use the results to render with and (b) they can explicitly choose 8bits per pixel. That leaves the only good use case for Renderbuffers for creating depth and stencil buffers.

But actually I'd prefer to leave it as is

Benoit