Re: [Public WebGL] 2.2 The Drawing Buffer requires 8 bit per color component

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
In 2.2 The Drawing Buffer, it is said that the default WebGL framebuffer must have at least 8 bit color components, i.e. 24 or 32 bpp.

This seems inconsistent with the fact that our only supported color renderbuffer formats have 16 bpp.

(It's bad enough to not support floating-point renderbuffers, but not supporting RGB8/RGBA8 renderbuffer formats is a bit insane.)

Should we change Section 2.2 to require only at least 4 bit per component?

I don't see why we should allow more deviation in implementations than necessary.

--
Glenn Maynard