Re: [Public WebGL] Re: WebGLSL Media Type Proposal

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We must first have a type declaration before we can discuss what
>> standard mechanical specialization should be keyed off that type.
>>
>> The sooner we can achieve media type registration, the sooner
>> interoperable Web-harmonious WebGLSL web services and serialization
>> formats can be deployed and independent developers can build on the
>> common type name.
>

> This is a lot of furious yet vague handwaving; I haven't a clue what you're
> trying to say.  ("Standard mechanical specialization"?  What?  According to
> Google, nobody on the internet has even used that series of words before.)

Discussions of <script> @type and HTTP Content-type behavior are
discussions of special automatic (mechanical) software behaviors based
on a standard name.

> If there's a real problem you're trying to solve, then please explain it
> clearly and concisely, so we can figure out why anybody should spend the
> time figuring this out.  Until then, we're all writing GLSL scripts just
> fine.

In general, the problems I am trying to solve are of two varieties:

1. Payload declaration for content-agnostic transport protocols
2. Payload declaration for content-agnostic transport formats

Here are a couple problems that demonstrate these issues:

1. What is the HTTP Content-type header value for WebGLSL source resources?

When does it matter?

2. What is the script/@type value for WebGLSL source embeddings?

When does it matter?

- James

My media type proposal has nothing to do with *writing* WebGLSL
programs and everything to do with *handling* WebGLSL programs.

Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

David