Re: [Public WebGL] WebGLSL Media Type Proposal

I feel like a bunch of things are being conflated here.

Whether you use a script tag or XHR or JS string concatenation or some
other method to get your GLSL into your program is a separate issue from
whether or not there is an official IANA media type.

Having a media type is useful in that programs reading the data have
some way of knowing how to interpret the content. That's why for example
if you go to an HTML page but it gets served with

Context-Type: text/text

It will be shown as text, not as HTML.

On the other hand, there doesn't appear to be official types for more
common languages like python, or ruby or C++. At least not on this list
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/index.html

Probably because most browsers and mail/news readers don't need to display it, so there hasn't been a demand for it. Which brings us back to why we're "conflating" these two "separate" issues: IANA media tags are created when there's demand for them. This whole debate is about whether the demand is there or not.

I'm still tempted to say that the ideal solution would be a <data> tag for sourcing any kind of data in a convenient way. XMLHttpRequest is also a bit of a misnomer these days. Who had the idea of creating a HTTP request API geared specifically toward XML anyway? Putting an XML DOM parser in the network protocol stack is ugly as hell!

It also makes the assumption that a HTTP request is what you want. I'm not encouraging people to put their data on FTP servers, but the naming is incredibly non-generic, and makes requests for file:// URLs look illegal, even when some browsers allow it.

In any case, I feel that it is necessary for us to devise a convenient, proper way of simply tossing some GLSL code into your document.

My initial reaction to seeing <script> being used was:

"Wow, that's such a neat and convenient way of doing it. I'm glad somebody in the standards committee has common sense!"

Now, I'm more disappointed.

Thor