Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL URI Extension Proposal

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Being able to declare extension use by URI in a standard way costs
> very little to implementers (as I attempted to demonstrate) and makes
> the shading language an actual Web language (HTML, CSS, JS, XML can
> all represent URIs). The fundamental components of the Web are
> resources and links. WebGLSL provides neither so far. This extension
> is an evolutionary adaptation of *Web*GL to the Web environment and
> will be a competitive advantage of WebGL over competing graphics
> stacks.

I still don't understand how replacing extensions names with
extensions URI improves would give WebGL a "competitive advantage over
competing graphics stacks".
As far as I know, competing graphics stacks (say, Stage3D and
Direct3D) do not have an extension mechanism at all.

Anyways, if you look at history of doctype declaration in HTML (which
is similar in concept to #extension in GLSL), it went from this
uglyness back in the pre-HTML5 era :

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>

to the way more sensible and human and wrist-friendly :

<!doctype html>

Using URIs in WebGL extensions sounds like going backwards to me.

Regards,