Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL URI Extension Proposal

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Patrick Baggett
<baggett.patrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I don't think I understand this proposal. Perhaps illustrate it with a
>> > minimal fully-featured pseudo API usage app example.
>>
>> In JavaScript, after including some prometheus.tld script:
>>
>> gl.getExtension("URI");
>>
>> gl.getExtension("http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/OES_texture_float/";);
>> var k = gl.getExtension("http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/advisories/";);
>> if (k.slow) { fallback(); } else { render_resplendent(); }
>>

> Eww.
>

>> In GLSL:
>>
>> #extension URI : enable
>> #extension
>> <http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/OES_standard_derivatives/>
>> : enable
>> #extension
>> <http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/syntax/overloaded_constructors>
>> : enable
>>

> Eww.
>

>> I believe that a standard #pragma directive for declaring
>> metadata-in-comments format would also be extremely helpful.
>>
>> Perhaps something like:
>>
>> #pragma META <http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/meta/javadoc>
>>
>> Standardization of federated hierarchical namespaces yields consistent
>> global use and Web-scale interop. On the Open Web, namespaces are
>> open.
>>

> The elephant in the room is that this isn't really solving any issues that
> are currently being faced, and 15+ years of OpenGL on the desktop has shown
> that it won't likely be an issue either. The GL extension mechanism has
> hardly found itself dying for a new namespace rule. The only thing this
> accomplishes is devastates source compatibility with GLES

The simple transform in my shim demonstrates otherwise. Far more
devastating to source compatibility with GLES are undeclared ad hoc
extensions which fail in unexpected ways instead of "don't know
extension http://glslexts.tld/real_type_system";.