Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL URI Extension Proposal

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think I understand this proposal. Perhaps illustrate it with a
> minimal fully-featured pseudo API usage app example.

In _javascript_, after including some prometheus.tld script:

gl.getExtension("URI");
gl.getExtension("http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/OES_texture_float/");
var k = gl.getExtension("http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/advisories/");
if (k.slow) { fallback(); } else { render_resplendent(); }

Eww.

In GLSL:

#extension URI : enable
#extension <http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/OES_standard_derivatives/>
: enable
#extension <http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/syntax/overloaded_constructors>
: enable

Eww.

I believe that a standard #pragma directive for declaring
metadata-in-comments format would also be extremely helpful.

Perhaps something like:

#pragma META <http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/meta/javadoc>

Standardization of federated hierarchical namespaces yields consistent
global use and Web-scale interop. On the Open Web, namespaces are
open.

The elephant in the room is that this isn't really solving any issues that are currently being faced, and 15+ years of OpenGL on the desktop has shown that it won't likely be an issue either. The GL extension mechanism has hardly found itself dying for a new namespace rule. The only thing this accomplishes is devastates source compatibility with GLES and add a bunch of annoying URIs to make things look more web-y.

Patrick

It is worth noting that Khronos is presently constructing an ad hoc
hierarchical extension namespace with the various extension source and
vendor prefixes ("WEBGL","OES","EXT","ANGLE","WEBKIT","NV","ATI",
&c.). This extension proposal would unify this namespace with the
Web's namespace.

David