Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL URI Extension Proposal

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:
> On 17/05/2012 07:11, David Sheets wrote:
>
> gl.getExtension("http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/OES_texture_float/";);
>
> Seeing something like this in a program would make me think that
> getExtension will download the extension rather than it having to be built
> in.

>From <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-1.1.3>:
An individual scheme does not have to be classified as being just one
of "name" or "locator".  Instances of URIs from any given scheme may
have the characteristics of names or locators or both, often
depending on the persistence and care in the assignment of
identifiers by the naming authority, rather than on any quality of
the scheme.

If you are concerned about confusion resulting from using "http"
scheme URIs for extension indentifiers, Khronos could register a URN
namespace <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2141> with IANA
<http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/#uri-scheme-registration> and
decree identifiers in that namespace as canonical. This would be much
prettier yet still persistent, unique, global, etc (URI includes URN).

> Since extensions cannot be downloaded and are implemented by a very small
> number of people, I think the current prefixing mechanism works just fine.

Many GLSL language extensions can be expressed as resources (syntax
transform data, proof checkers, service endpoints, etc) that are used
at either compile- or run-time. My proposal primarily concerns the
machine comprehension of third-party-extended shaders (like Google's
glsl-unit that Ben mentions below). In glsl-unit's case, Google is the
authority on the validity and versioning of their language extension.

I believe there is a need for a common agreed-upon language extension
mechanism that has well-defined semantics beyond an opaque prefixed
string. To solve this web-scale naming problem, I propose using the
Web's standard naming system, URI.