Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL URI Extension Proposal

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think I understand this proposal. Perhaps illustrate it with a
> minimal fully-featured pseudo API usage app example.

In JavaScript, after including some prometheus.tld script:

gl.getExtension("URI");
gl.getExtension("http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/OES_texture_float/";);
var k = gl.getExtension("http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/advisories/";);
if (k.slow) { fallback(); } else { render_resplendent(); }

In GLSL:

#extension URI : enable
#extension <http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/OES_standard_derivatives/>
: enable
#extension <http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/syntax/overloaded_constructors>
: enable

I believe that a standard #pragma directive for declaring
metadata-in-comments format would also be extremely helpful.

Perhaps something like:

#pragma META <http://www.prometheus.tld/webgl/meta/javadoc>

Standardization of federated hierarchical namespaces yields consistent
global use and Web-scale interop. On the Open Web, namespaces are
open.

It is worth noting that Khronos is presently constructing an ad hoc
hierarchical extension namespace with the various extension source and
vendor prefixes ("WEBGL","OES","EXT","ANGLE","WEBKIT","NV","ATI",
&c.). This extension proposal would unify this namespace with the
Web's namespace.

David