Re: [Public WebGL] Moving WebGL Khronos related stuff to GitHub

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Cedric Vivier <cvivier@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If each version is moved into a separate branch, the HTTP POST agent
>>> on khronos.org that receives post-commit messages will need to perform
>>> "git pull" against the various version branches to continue serving
>>> individual spec and test suite versions (which I believe is necessary
>>> for reference purposes and link maintenance). I don't think this is a
>>> big deal but it will make the post-commit mechanism more complicated
>>> than simply "if (HTTP POST from allowed_ips[]) then git pull"
>>> (mirroring).
>>
>> Yes, not a big deal imho to rather "git fetch" then loop all version
>> branches (v*) to generate the reference snapshots on khronos.org.
>> Otoh this would simplify the repository model for day-to-day
>> development and allow nice git(hub)-based diff'ing between snapshots.
>
> Cedric,
>
> Conceptually, using Git branches for the spec and conformance suite
> revisions sounds nice. However, I'm concerned about a couple of
> things:
>
> 1. Having all snapshots of the conformance suite available in a flat
> checkout has some maintenance advantages. It's possible to commit
> updates to multiple versions of the conformance tests simultaneously.
> This has come in handy during the stabilization of the 1.0.1 suite,
> where changes go into the top-of-tree test suite as well as the 1.0.1
> version.
>
> 2. With the current repository structure, checking out portions of the
> branches on the server side would be fairly complicated. For example,
>
>  http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/[number]
>
> would need to be populated with the contents of the git checkout of
> specs/latest/ at branch [number]. Separately,
>
>  http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/conformance-suites/[number]
>
> would need to be populated with the contents of the git checkout of
> sdk/tests/ at branch [number].

Another concern is that it might be more difficult to revise the
conformance suite independently of the spec. We need to anticipate the
need for version 1.0.1a, 1.0.1b, etc. of the conformance tests,
without necessarily revising the spec.

-Ken