Re: [Public WebGL] Moving WebGL Khronos related stuff to GitHub

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Cedric Vivier <cvivier@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If each version is moved into a separate branch, the HTTP POST agent
>> on khronos.org that receives post-commit messages will need to perform
>> "git pull" against the various version branches to continue serving
>> individual spec and test suite versions (which I believe is necessary
>> for reference purposes and link maintenance). I don't think this is a
>> big deal but it will make the post-commit mechanism more complicated
>> than simply "if (HTTP POST from allowed_ips[]) then git pull"
>> (mirroring).
>
> Yes, not a big deal imho to rather "git fetch" then loop all version
> branches (v*) to generate the reference snapshots on khronos.org.
> Otoh this would simplify the repository model for day-to-day
> development and allow nice git(hub)-based diff'ing between snapshots.

Cedric,

Conceptually, using Git branches for the spec and conformance suite
revisions sounds nice. However, I'm concerned about a couple of
things:

1. Having all snapshots of the conformance suite available in a flat
checkout has some maintenance advantages. It's possible to commit
updates to multiple versions of the conformance tests simultaneously.
This has come in handy during the stabilization of the 1.0.1 suite,
where changes go into the top-of-tree test suite as well as the 1.0.1
version.

2. With the current repository structure, checking out portions of the
branches on the server side would be fairly complicated. For example,

  http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/[number]

would need to be populated with the contents of the git checkout of
specs/latest/ at branch [number]. Separately,

  http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/conformance-suites/[number]

would need to be populated with the contents of the git checkout of
sdk/tests/ at branch [number]. In other words, the server-side
checkout would not be as simple as just checking out the branch --
unless we do that into a side directory on the server and set up the
URLs above using symlinks. (James, would that be possible?)

If you think that the advantages of using branches outweigh any
disadvantages, that's fine -- please work with Gregg and James to get
the server-side scripts updated appropriately.

I'm strongly in favor of preserving the "sdk" directory, including the
demos, which demonstrate some canonical code patterns such as recovery
from lost context. Gregg's debugging utilities are also there.
Splitting these into a separate repository will only make it more
difficult to find them and won't simplify ongoing development.